Balb/c Inbred Mouse
Model Detail >
- Antibody development
- Cancer research
- Infectious disease
DownloadsFile size: 34.37k
The Balb/c mouse is a popular strain and is used in many different research disciplines, such as cardiovascular, aging and pharmacological studies. Also classified as an inbred from the production of 20 or more successive brother-sister matings, the Balb/c mouse is albino and small in size.
Request a quote and a SAGE® Labs research specialist will contact you with an estimated price and delivery date.
- Color: Albino
- Low alcohol preference
- Low incidence of mammary tumors
- Resistance to atherosclerosis development when fed an atherogenic diet
- High incidence of cardiac calcification, especially in males
- Overall higher incidence of heart defects and spontaneous myocardial lesions of the right ventricle
- Generally good breeding performance, with low incidence of barbering
- Sensitivity to radiation
- Low incidence of ovarian cysts
- Moderate hearing loss usually occurs before one year of age
- Average litter size of 5–7 pups and weaning occurs at 19 days of age
Figure 1. Balb/c age/weight curve
Origin: Taconic Farms, Germantown, NY, 1995.